

My son, Torsten, was born July 11th, 2009. When it came time to start solid food, all the standard baby food seemed so bland and gross. I just didn't see any reason that baby food needs to be so boring and flavorless! I did a lot of reading to find out if it was safe to feed babies spices. There were some people who seemed stuck on the old fashioned idea that baby food has to be bland and tasteless, but most of what I read said babies benefit from flavorful food, they just have no need for salt or sugar. I also studied up on homemade baby food and was overwhelmed by all the grinding and freezing and hassle it seemed to entail. I'm not ashamed to say we're on WIC and when I started this we didn't even have food stamps, so we didn't (and still don't) have a lot of extra money to be spending on food for him when we get jarred baby food and cereal for free! I started playing around with things I could do with what we already get and have around the house. Things that are easy, quick and on the low end of the hassle scale so to speak. With everything, we followed the "3 day rule", introducing only one new food, herb or spice at a time and waiting 3 days in between. I posted the occasional meal description in my Facebook status but decided some of my friends would get bored with that pretty quick and it just wasn't the right outlet. Thus, a blog. =) I doubt anyone will read it but I will have fun sharing my meal creations and Torsten will continue having fun eating them!
No comments:
Post a Comment