Monday, April 19, 2010

Blueberries, bananas and beans, oh my!

Frozen blueberries, plus mushed up bananas, plus cereal = nom!



Torsten's been eating a lot of beans, tomato sauce and beef the past couple days. I picked up a couple jars of stage three baby food and he loves the spaghetti with beef and the beef and veggies. I made roast beef so he got some of that chopped up small and really enjoyed it too. The roast beef was turned into stew. The base of my stew was a big pot of mixed beans and barley. Torsten loves beans but I have yet to find a brand/store that sells canned beans that are sugar and salt free so he doesn't get them often. I decided I'd go to a little extra trouble and cook up a bag of dried 16 bean mix instead of the usual canned beans so that he could have some.

I really don't like taking the time to make large batches of baby food but I felt ambitious yesterday. I cooked the beans and added veggies and a few herbs(carrot, onion, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, parsley, summer savory and garlic) then took out a portion for Torsten. Three enough in the magic bullet for about 15 ounces and chopped it up till it was mostly mush with some decent chunks in it. It all fit in about 5 little single serving tupperwares. I saved out oneand froze the rest. The soup turned out fantastic for us grown ups once I added the beef, salt and the rest of seasonings by the way!

For lunch today torsten had the serving of beans that I saved out mixed with curry powder and a little more garlic. He inhaled the whole bowl full so I think it was a hit!

For dinner I microwaved a small handful of frozen blueberries, smooshed them with a fork and mixed in some oatmeal baby cereal, ground flax seed and a jar of banana baby food. Some cinnamon and cardamom for the finishing touch and he cleaned his plate!

1 comment:

  1. That berry mixture at the end of the meal sounds pretty nummy. I remember that the jarred bananas were Silas' favorite and mixing those up with rice cereal made the whole thing perfect for him.

    ReplyDelete